Today was the first day of our SNAP Challenge and so far it's been fine. I did realize a couple of things today.
1. Shopping for value is great in theory but really hard when you have to make every cent count for your immediate needs. Spending an extra $0.50 so that it cost less per ounce was not happening.
2. I failed to plan for my child wanting a snack after dinner so I proved that I'm a big softie and immediately gave in. If I had to actually live on SNAP and tell her that we couldn't afford to have cookies this week I would have felt really really bad.
3. I have a pretty extensive spice collection and I think it may be cheating to use it. I put 7 different spices on our chicken tonight. It tasted great but one of those spices alone costs $5. It would not have been in the budget this week so I will avoid using them again.
4. Apples with peanut butter are the bomb!
5. It's only 7:58 and I already want a snack. This is going to be tough.
Here is a video with some of my thoughts on the challenge so far: